The centenary of Polygon Wood commemorates wartime sacrifice
Monday, 25 September 2017
The Member for Parkes, Mark Coulton has urged all communities in the Electorate of Parkes to stop and think about Australia’s wartime sacrifices on the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Polygon Wood on 26 September.
Mr Coulton said the Battle of Polygon Wood was part of a wider series of battles collectively known as the Flanders Offensive, which included the Battles of Messines and the Third Battle of Ypres—sometimes referred to as the Battle of Passchendaele.
“In eight weeks of fighting between September and October 1917 the Australian Imperial Force suffered some 38,000 casualties, including more than 5,700 at Polygon Wood,” he said.
“More than 70,000 Australians had been killed or wounded on the Western Front by the end of 1917, making it the costliest year of Australia’s costliest war.
“The number of casualties Australia sustained are hard to comprehend, and I urge everyone in Electorate of Parkes to pause and remember the sacrifice of those Australians and everyone who has served in defence of our country and values.”
Mr Coulton said the commemoration of the Battle of Polygon Wood was an opportunity to remind the community that the Coalition Government has provided $50,000 in grant funding for local community commemorations in the Electorate of Parkes to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War in 2018.
“I encourage groups in the Electorate of Parkes to apply for funding under the Armistice Centenary Grants Program to mark this important milestone in Australia’s history,” he said.
To have your Expression of Interest considered, please provide the project plan and budget and return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or to any of my offices by 23 October 2017.